Histon & Impington Royal British Legion Club history
The Branch formed the club in 1950 by Sidney Bishop purchasing the tin hut (which was actually the 2nd world war infirmary) from Midfields in Oakington Road. The Hall and inside toilets were added in 1968-69 and was opened by Tommy Trindar; and next we had a young and upcoming Jim Davidson.
We went on to have a full membership of 1000 this being the maximum allowed and there was a waiting list.
We took down the tin hut and built the new Club lounge in 1980 to complete what we now have. The decline in dancing and entertainment in the main hall led to a drop in membership meant we were close to closing down, however with the help of a generous, anonymous donation, and the ongoing help of the committee working the bar at no charge allowed us to continue and today we are going from strength to strength.
Changes, updates and what we have done and achieved etc